One Sentence Description
Emoji Diary is a diary app that uses emoji as it’s language to record your life and important memories in quickest and simplest way.
Being able to keep the trace of your life is important. Even with simplest marks or words, people can bring back their most important memories. The Emoji-diary app uses emoji set to allow keep track of their life in simplest and quickest way, and also easy to get in to app and look through the records you’ve made. Emoji is a strong universal visual language with great variations that one can create a whole story with it, and Emoji-diary will help people record their memory in most efficient way by using emoji.
Phase 1: Define
- Main problem is from my own experience. I’ve always wanted to write simple diary that would help me keep track of my life and recall them later, but always ended up not being able to keep up with it because I was too busy with other works. Also, because I was a design major, I wanted it to be something visual.
- The outcome of this project should fulfill the way to record of keep track of one’s life with simplest way that takes short time but still has enough contents to create story and recall the memory back.
- Therefore, Emoji Diary will be an app that will let users create small visual diary for their life, mainly using emojis, while still have other functions just incase for the additional details such as adding location or images. However, the main function will be focused on using emojis as a main language for the diary. The main feature of this app will be the widget that will be in the home screen. From there, user will be able to create simple emoji inquiry about their moment without having to open the app. Also, the users will be able to see their overall monthly mood at once inside the app, such as emoji infographic by hieratic scale.
- Main intended audience/user of this app is type of people just like me, who wants to keep track of their life or make journals to record events constantly, but too busy or lazy to do it.
- However, this app can be used with way more potential and various purposes such as mental care purposes who need help with managing healthy emotional state, or with little further development, it can be also used for children who are still in process or learning language, who can learn how to realize their emotion and keeping track of their life through visual practices.
Phase 2: Shape
- During the very first week of this project, I researched few diary apps for Iphone. Their features were mostly focused on writing basic diary entries. However, each app had their own uniqueness to differentiate them from other apps.
- Each diary had their own strengths, such as having app lock function where you can lock your app and set password, so only the phone owner can access the app, and some diary app focused on it’s simplicity, with very minimal design. Also, most of the diary apps had notification setting where they send you notifications if you forget to add entry for the day. Each diary had their own strategy but has weaknesses too, such as interfaces that is confusing to navigate. However, most of the diary app has all necessary basic features and they helped me a lot with setting up and deciding what is needed for my app.
Basic concept paper Prototype based off from my idea and referencing precedents :
Phase 3: Make/ Prototypes
- What were the prototype stages and what did you learn from each prototype?
- First stage was a simple paper prototype which was for the proof of concept, and then for the next stage, I created few pages to focus on main design elements and interface designs. After the design prototype was successful, I started working on creating more pages to continue with user-flow testing. Because the user-testing client changed every time, every testing session was all combination of proof of concept, user-flow, and design elements testing.
- How will this be built? What technology and development process?
- Even though the prototype is focused on Apple IOS, this app will be both usable for Mac and Android phone. Therefore; front-end development process will be done by using basic application building programs such as Java, Android studio and Swift. Back-end development with basic UX/UI design will be done by using Sketch and Illustrator, but mainly in Sketch.
- What is the approval process?
- Throughout the classes, I’ve done multiple user-testing session with the prototypes, and improved it after each session. During first user-test, I focused on proof of concept to make sure my app idea is something that makes sense and usable. After first session, because I had different user for each session, I was able to conduct user testing in various aspects and also repeat the
Phase 4: Launch
Because this app was created from my individual desires, (creating easy, visual diary app) I am willing to launch it if there are people who wants to use this app but unsure about how this app will work as a product that can create profit or be marketed. I’m opposed to adding adds into the app, because it will distract user from the full experience. Therefore, I would launch this app if possible, but I don’t have clear idea for having platform, or gaining profit from it.
Would it be helpful to add notification setting? Or does widget enough for the users to remind them to use the app?
What can be the effective ways to market this app? Is there any other way to gain profit from the app other than making ads appear in the app?
Is there any other features that is needed for the app?